Thursday 10 October 2013

Book Review: Lone Wolf

 
"A Compelling emotional drama of love and guilt that grips from the very first moments.

Luke Warren would sleep in the dirt if it meant he could be under the stars. 
He lives by the laws of nature, and would surely want to die that way. 
But Luke is in a coma, and his family must make an unbearable decision.
As tensions and secrets rise to the surface, the tragic accident which brought them back together against the odds could well tear Luke’s family apart forever.
They know Luke would not want to live like this.  But how can they choose to let him die?

Just from looking at my pictures you can see this book hasn’t been treated the best.  I started it a while back and since then it has been thrown into my bag, taken around with me but never really given the proper attention it deserved.  This cannot be blamed on the book, just purely on myself for getting so out of touch with something I love doing.  I’ve missed reading, for some reason since moving into my home with my new found sense of responsibility and a million things to do it was put on the back burner, but no more, I want to get back into my 'head stuck in a book' days... happy days.
Anywho, that has absolutely nothing to do with this book; so let’s get down to it.


It’s fair to say my views may be somewhat biased here as I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan.  In my eyes the woman can do no wrong.  However, to be fair here, this opinion has been formed based upon reading pretty much all of her books after purchasing one many years ago and finding myself unable to put it down.  I find all her stories completely compelling and so unlike any other author I have found so far. 

This book, along with pretty much all her other stories, centres around a legal case.  Please don’t be put off by this, it’s not something I thought I would ever find particularly engrossing, but my goodness, it is!  The story begins at the incident from which everything is centred around, the crash which leads to Luke Warren  being hospitalised and in a coma.  From here the story is told from the perspective of each member of the family and those directly affected by the case.  It is these perspectives that really draw you into the story and help you understand and sympathise with each and every individual person.  This is the beauty of Jodi Picoult books, she can make you feel and empathise with almost anyone.

After discovering that Luke Warren has suffered severe brain damage both son and daughter begin the steps to have the legal right to make the decision to either leave their father on life support indefinitely with little to no hope of him ever regaining consciousness or turn the machine off.  Despite whatever your initial view may be of what you think the outcome should be you are torn every time the perspective changes from one child to another with their contrasting views and opinions.

As the case progresses we learn so much more about each of the characters and the back story behind each different element and person.

Overall I can honestly say I loved this book and lived up to my very high expectations that I have built up of all Jodi Picoult stories.  It’s a definite read.

You can purchase the book from Amazon here, and have a look at Jodi Picoult’s website here.

 I had to slip in this picture of my beautiful Peggy


I’d give this book a big:




Love,

7 comments:

  1. Oh you have a furry friend ;) and you're a cat woman too! <3 I am inviting you to visit my blog and if ever you like we can follow and support each other ;)

    your new Fan on LB.nu, Bloglovin' n follower,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting!

    I've read a couple Jodie Piccoult books, but years back, and never really got into any of hers again. But this sounds like a good story, so might have to check it out!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi Picoult is amazing! So glad you (and your cat) liked this!
    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jodi Pcoult, she's amazing, peggy is adorable oh my gosh!

    Love Em x


    emtalks.co.uk
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3934124/emtalks

    ReplyDelete
  5. great book review! now i just need to find time to read for fun/leisure.

    x
    http://1finedai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Interesting!
    I will read this book :)

    www.natalia-memories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually never heard about this reader (I believe that none of her books got released in my country), but sounds interesting! I might order one of her books online (along with the New Harry Potter books, the ones with the pretty covers , because I finally have a nice space to storage my books and having my own means that I won't have to ask my aunt to borrow them)
    Amazing review!
    Please take care, have a nice day!*

    beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete